Anniversary Sale

EXTENDED THRU OCTOBER 31!

Oct 10th thru 13th

We are celebrating 42 YEARS of business by offering our customers HUGE savings! Thru the month of October, save up to 70% off throughout the store, and special sales in EVERY department.

 

 

THROUGH THE YEARS

1977

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Marlborough Country Barn of Saybrook opened as the third branch store of Marlborough Country Barn in the fall of 1977. Carl and Clara Zirkenbach opened the store in a house built by Ambrose Whittlesey in 1799. Whittlesey was an early settler of the Saybrook Colony, a sea captain and a civic leader. His house was particularly notable for its Georgian-style interior. It is one of the few remaining from this period in this section of Old Saybrook. The Old Saybrook store was in essence a smaller version of the Marlborough location.

 

1978

Marlborough Country Barn of Saybrook added not only 1500 square feet of showroom space and a country store, but also new partners Keith Bolles and Joanne Murphy, Clara Zirkenbach’s children. The store grew as demand grew for furniture, home accessories and gifts. The original employee count consisted of five people.

 

1987

With the increasing demand for more furniture display areas and employee offices, Marlborough Country Barn of Saybrook announced the grand opening of their 7,000 sq ft addition.

 

1997

After 20 years on the shoreline, Marlborough Country Barn of Saybrook changed its name to Saybrook Country Barn. Everything terrific about the store stayed the same but the name. Business was thriving and so was the need to expand. Saybrook Country Barn purchased the building on the corner of Main Street from Earl Endrich, who operated a real estate and insurance business at that location for many years. The building also housed Cartier Optical, which had been owned and operated by Ernie Cartier Jr and his wife Pam since 1972. The house had previously been the home of many thriving businesses including Lockwood & Pierce Co. Druggists, Watson’s Saybrook Pharmacy, Western Union, Monarch Laundry, and a barber shop.

A 3,000 sq ft barn was added to the existing building making room for a larger hardware room, warehouse and employee offices. The joining property on the corner of Main Street was torn down and the new Georgian style corner house was constructed.

 

2006

With the completion of the corner house construction, Saybrook Country Barn added its Apparel Shop and restaurant. The new 15,000 sq ft space also featured additional furniture showrooms and a rug shop upstairs.

 

2018

With over 42,000 sq ft of retail space, several buildings and 41 years, Saybrook Country Barn changed its name to Saybrook Home. The name change was inspired to better represent the products carried and showcased in the store.

“Saybrook Country Barn has been evolving in our design services and modern furniture offerings to meet the needs of our customers, while very much keeping some of our core traditional lines cherished by our long standing clients. Much in the same ways families evolve, so has our business. We wanted to capture the essence of our core values and mission and at the end of the day, don’t we all just feel better when we are home?” says Cheryl Mader, General Manager at Saybrook Home. “Our name has changed, however our staff, our visionary design team and curated product offerings will continue to please our customers very much as we always have.”